A project of the SRITA Association

Arts Museum (Tulcea)

he palace, which today is home to the Arts Museum, was built in 1863-65, as the seat of the Turkish Mutesarrif (an administrative authority). The Sanjak (Turkish territorial unit) was led by seven beys and pashas appointed by the sultan. Among the seven leaders were Ahmed Pasha, who stimulated the economic development and social life of Tulcea. The city was an important strategic and commercial center, from here the major part of Dobrogea was governed. The Pasha invited Western European architects to design the palace, which combines neoclassical, greek and roman styles. Even after uniting with Wallachia, between 1877 and 1970, the building is home to several public institutions, as the Prefecture, the Court, the county’s Council. Since 1982 works as the Arts Museum. Within seven exhibitions are exposed over 7,000 objects, including paintings from the eighteenth and nineteenth century, sculptures, icons and objects of fine art. The palace was restored between 2009 and 2012.

Access: The building is located strategically in the old Turkish quarter, near the banks of the Danube, at Grigore Antipa street, no. 2.