Category: Cultural Heritage
Regions: Dobrogea, Tulcea town and surroundings
Ethnic Groups: Bulgarian
The Bulgarian community built the church in 1857, on the place of a wooden church, built formerly also by Bulgarians in 1830. The church is known as the Church with clock tower. Near the church funcioned the Scool of boys and the School of girls, out of which the first one can be seen only on old postcards. The church was built without a tower, because under Turkish rule Christian church towers could not be higher than the Muslim minarets. The neo-Gothic clock tower was built later, after 1877. The church’s Iconostasis (a wall of icons and religious paintings) originates from the 1850’s.
Access: Păcii (Peace) street, no. 11.