The historic monument church was built in the 14th century on the site of an older church. The Gothic church has been restored several times in the 15th and 16th centuries, but between 1560 and 1563 was significantly rebuilt due to the serious deterioration. Architect Petrus Italus da Lugano led the works and the basilica type church became a hall church, to which Renaissance elements were also added. The church tower was built between 1417 and 1519, and had a height of 74 meters. In 1857 a fire destroyed the belfry, and when restoration works began, a new neo-Gothic floor was also added, the tower now reaching 76 meters in height. It is the highest tower in Transylvania. The church is also among those lucky few Transylvanian churches whose interior was not destroyed during the twentieth century. The wooden benches, for example, date from the 15th and 16th centuries, with pieces from the late Middle Ages and Renaissance period. Frescoes have recently been discovered, these also come from different eras, the oldest being from the fourteenth century, from the time the church was built. The decorative painting of the nave and sanctuary date from the Renaissance period. Above the nave we find the roof structure with the largest span in Transylvania, exceeding 20 meters. This also comes also from 1560.
Access: Piata Centrala (Central Market).