The church was built in Romanesque – Gothic style in the late thirteenth century, in the beginning of the fourteenth century. The church from Sântămăria-Orlea served as an arhitectural model to the building. It is a church with a rectangular ground plan, with a short nave, built of rough stone. The sanctuary with square plan is rib-vaulted, somewhat smaller than the nave. The interior is decorated with precious medieval frescos. On the exterior fragments of paintings can also be observed, mainly on the southern side. In the early 1700s the church proved to be too small, so the Zeyk family built a new Reformed church in 1724 on the north side of the current church. However this church does not exist anymore. The church, as we see it today, is a valuable historic monument, which retained almost intact the Roman-Gothic architectural details, characteristic of rural parishes and churches in the Middle Ages. Due to the diminishing number of Protestants, the church is used by the Orthodox community today.
Access: the village is accessible from the national road no. 66, which connects Calan and Hateg. The church can be seen from the road. The village of Strei is at one km to South from Calan.